I have written most of my posts about the trials and hardships that we have gone through over the last few years. I am sure many of you are wondering if I have anything to say that is happy and thankful. Well yes there is and I would like to take the time to count some of the many blessings that God has given me/us.
- I am thankful for my wonderful husband. Married life has not been all sunshine and rainbows but I am incredibly blessed to have such a perfect mate. He really does complete me, and compliments my personality. He is a great dad and the kids adore him. He loves the Lord and is serving in the youth ministry in our church and he encourages me in my own walk with God. He helps me around the house and he is a good cook to boot. He is so gentlemanly in the way he treats me, it really is a pleasure to be married to him.
- I am thankful for my four beautiful boys. There were individual problems with each of them during pregnancy and birth and had things gone differently I may have lost a child. I am thankful they are all healthy. I am thankful for their gorgeous smiles when they greet me every morning and for their sloppy kisses. I am thankful for the “I love you so much mummy” and the cuddles and snuggles. Even amongst all the craziness and the noise and the mess they create, they just bring such a joy to my day that I can’t help but smile at them.
- I am thankful for our van. When we found out that we were expecting twins we knew we would need a bigger vehicle but we had neither the money to buy one nor the stable job to be able to borrow money from the bank. A family from our church gave us a gift toward the purchase of a car which was a tremendous blessing and the Lord provided the rest of the funds by means of a sizeable tax return. We were able to find a suitable car and even to pay cash which means that we own the car outright, no finance was needed and we don’t have a bank loan sitting over our heads.
- I am thankful for our church family and other friends and relatives. After all three births the families from our church provided meals for a couple of weeks so that we could settle in without having to do shopping and worry about meals. They also came to visit us and gave many gifts. We are so blessed to be a part of a church that is so willing to be a blessing to others. There were other friends and family members as well as the church family who also helped out with some housework and who also helped us to move house numerous times, helping to pack and unpack, clean, sort, move furniture and everything else that goes with it. God has blessed us in placing us in this church and the people are a real encouragement. Over the years we have had both friends and family give us baby clothes and cots, blankets, beds, mattresses, car seats, dining tables and chairs, couches, toys, TV’s, sound systems and more. Many people have been very generous and through them we have seen the love and care of our great God.
- I am thankful for my parents. They offered us their home when we had the twins and they helped to look after me while I was recovering from the c-section and they looked after our kids. They have had so much input into the lives of our children and are very much loved by them. They have looked after them a number of times so that we could spend time together and have a break. They have had such a godly influence in my life and they are just really wonderful, really caring people with a heart for others and they love their grandchildren very very much. We may not always see eye to eye, but even when they say things that seem harsh and may upset me or my husband, I know that they only say things because they love me/us and want the best for me/us. I am thankful that I have parents that are willing to tell me/us things, even if they know I/we might not like what they have to say, they say them anyway because they love me/us.
- I am thankful for my parents in law, like my mum and dad they have looked after our children for us on numerous occasions. They adore their grandsons and are adored in return. They are wonderful, generous people and having had five children themselves all close together, they have been a wonderful source of advice and encouragement on how to handle our four boys. I am so grateful that we have a good relationship with both sets of parents. I know of so many couples who sadly have issues with at least one set of in-laws. The Lord has truly blessed with giving both my husband and I wonderful, godly parents.
- I am thankful for family, I love all my brothers and sisters in law. I only have one brother (who I love dearly) so having all these sister in laws is so nice for me. They are all lovely girls and they compliment their other halves so well. We don’t always agree with each other as all sisters are apt to do, but we are all really good friends and always have a great time of fellowship whenever we get together.
- I have so many other things I could express my thanks for but I will share just one more for the moment. I wanted to save the best for last. I am thankful for Salvation. I am a born again, Bible believing Christian. There may be some of you who are reading this and thinking “oh great, she’s religious.” Well that’s not really accurate. You see when I made a choice to accept Christ into my heart I didn’t enter into a religion, I entered into a relationship. God calls us to follow him in a personal way, not to just go through some ritualistic worship but to really get to know Him through study and prayer and even through the world around us and the people around us. Now I will admit that I don’t always do a great job in maintaining my relationship with God. I struggle with sin (the bad things we think, feel and do) all the time, I am not perfect. But I do love God and I love my family. And I do my best to treat them the way God wants me to and to live a life that honours God and my family as well. I teach my sons about God and the bible and I pray that one day they will make the same choice that I did. God loves me and he created me, He gave me my husband, He gave me my sons. He gave me my parents, my parents in law, my brother and all my brothers and sisters in law. He has given me a house to live in, a car to drive, food to eat and he has given my husband a job. Without God and his hand of blessing we would have nothing.
Psalm 121 (King James Version)
1 I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.
2 My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth.
3 He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber.
4 Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.
5 The Lord is thy keeper: the Lord is thy shade upon thy right hand.
6 The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night.
7 The Lord shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul.
8 The Lord shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.